Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Arizona Part One

After giving up on getting any more climbing in at Indian Creek, I packed up and headed toward Tucson, to visit, and climb with, my friend, Chris Prewitt. On the way, I stopped in Sedona, to catch up with a friend and fellow vagabond I met at Burning Man, Azami. The drive into Sedona was beautiful. I spent the evening hanging out with Azami and her friend, Christopher, then, the next afternoon, headed out to drive the rest of the way to Tucson.
View off the side of the road driving into Sedona. A picture can't do it justice.

Friday evening, I arrived in Tucson, and hung out with Chris. Saturday, Chris, his wife Katherine, their son Elliot, and I went climbing at an area of Mount Lemmon called Jailhouse Rock. I led a few moderate climbs, and Chris led Crime and Punishment (5.11), a great, overhanging crack/face route.
Katherine, Elliot, and Chris at the crag

Katherine in front of Crime and Punishment

Sunday was a rest day. I hung out with Chris and Elliot. We had breakfast a couple times, then went to a friend of Chris's house for mid-morning cocktails. It was a rough day. In the afternoon, Elliot took a nap and I looked after him while Chris went to work...that is to say, I looked after him for the half hour he was awake before Katherine got home. If only taking care of kids were always so easy.

Monday, Chris and I drove out to Cochise Stronghold and climbed "What's My Line?", a classic, 3 pitch 5.6, though I think I did a variation finish that probably goes at 5.8-ish. We also did a short 4th pitch to the top of the summit block of Cochise Dome, which is probably 5.9-ish. Anyway, the majority of the route is 5.fun climbing on massive chickenheads.

Chris following the first pitch of What's My Line?

Looking up the chickenhead highway

Chris at the top of Cochise Dome

Tuesday, Chris and I hiked out to a bouldering area that he has been helping develop at a place called Panther Peak. We didn't do a whole lot there. Chris did some cleaning and worked on a new highball problem, but didn't finish it. I caught up on some sun bathing and general relaxation. I'm not much of a boulderer. :-)

Chris working a new problem at Panther Peak, with Joe spotting

Tuesday night, after dinner, Chris and I drove out to Mount Lemmon for yet another adventure. We did a night ascent of a route called Bender-Axen to Black Quacker. Chris has done this route a lot, and really enjoys doing it at night. I have to say, I was somewhat skeptical, and, when we racked up and got ready to start the hard part of the approach, around 10:30 or so, I was feeling pretty tired and starting to have second thoughts. I decided to go ahead with it, and spent the next 30 minutes of hideous bushwhacking and sliding downhill in my treadless approach shoes regretting my decision. Eventually, we got to the base of the climb, and I let Chris have the first lead, because my head was in no way ready for the 15 feet of unprotected 5.8 slab at the start of the route. About halfway up the first pitch, however, I started to relax into the climbing and began to have fun. One reason we decided to do this climb on Tuesday night, was to catch the peak activity of the Leonid meteor showers, and I did see 2 or 3 meteors at the first belay, and 5 or 6 in the course of the evening. Chris saw more. We topped out after 5 great pitches of climbing to a fabulous view of the city lights of Tucson, and a gorgeous, starry sky, and I was glad I had endured the horrid approach, and that Chris had put up with my bitching. It was worth it. We made our way back to our packs and Chris broke out two pints of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Kickass! Did I mention that Chris is one hell of a guy? :-)

Unfortunately, my camera takes crappy night photos, so I don't have any pictures. You'll just have to take my word that it was beautiful.

Today, I slept as much as I could, then got up, went to the store, came home, and made bacon and eggs and pancakes for breakfast (er, lunch, I guess). Then, I got an email asking me to do a phone interview this afternoon. I did the interview, and it went great. I should have a face-to-face interview lined up when I get home. Yep, folks, this is it...the beginning of the end of an era. All too soon, I'll be a working stiff again...but a working stiff with a slightly different perspective on life, and one, who, I'm sure will find time for plenty more adventures down the line.

Route List for 11/14-18:
  • Grand Theft Otto (5.9, Trad) (Onsight)
  • Mr. Meanor (5.8+, Mixed) (Onsight)
  • Mug Shot (5.8+, Mixed) (Onsight)
  • Crime And Punishment (5.11, Trad) (TR)
  • What's My Line? Variation Finish (3 Pitches, 5.8-ish A0, Trad) (Onsight 1, 3; followed 2 clean)
  • Cochise Dome Summit Block (5.9ish) (followed clean)
  • Bender-Axen (5.8, Trad) To Black Quacker (4 pitches, 5.7, Trad) (Followed 1, 3; Onsight 2, 4, 5)




No comments:

Post a Comment