Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Welcome to Ol' Kentuck...

Well, I've been at the Red River Gorge for six days now. I've had 4 great days of climbing and a relaxing rest day, met some great people, and, tomorrow night, I have 3 great friends coming to visit me. Awesome.

This is Miguel's, my home right now. In the back, there's a huge tent city of climbers. In the parking lot, I'm probably one of at least a dozen people sleeping in cars. It can be a crazy party on the weekend, but the great thing is it's almost all people with at least one common interest: climbing.

Friday, I hiked around, and messed around on this awesome boulder. I love this boulder on so many levels...you look at it up close and it is fascinating and beautiful rock. You look at it from a distance and it is a fun, pocketed face to climb on. The bottom was easy (think 5.5), but the top-out moves were committing. I didn't want to break an ankle, so I didn't try them.

I forgot to bring my camera Saturday. One of the guys I coimbed with is supposed to send me some pictures. Hopefully, he will.

This is Mr. Bungle, a kind of fun 5.8 bolted route up the arete, and one of the two climbs I did (and the only one I led) on Sunday (a cold, wet, ugly day).

This is Mike and Dillon, two of the guys I climbed with Saturday and Sunday.

This is me on To Defy The Laws Of Tradition (5.10a), the other route I climbed on Sunday.


This is just cool. :-) I love the rock here. It's fascinating to look at as well as too climb.

Monday was a lovely, warm, sunny day, and I climbed with some really great folks from Michigan.
This is Five Finger Discount, a cool 5.8 trad route that Doug and I led (Grace's head in the corner).

We did a few other climbs at Roadside Crag, and a couple of climbs at Emerald City.

Tuesday, I went to Bruise Brothers Wall at Muir Valley with Doug's friend Matt and a couple friends of his. I forgot my camera again. I also regretted not bringing my trad rack as there were a couple decent looking trad routes I missed out on. Oh well, I had fun anyway, despite the constant threat of rain all day. At least it never quite materialized.

Today was a rest day. I drove to Winchester for shopping and oil change fun.

Now to see if I can find someone to climb with tomorrow. If not, I'll have a full weekend with Eric, Jeff, and Bev visiting anyway.....

Route List For Saturday - Tuesday:
  • Slow Jack (5.7 Trad) (Onsight)
  • Norway On My Mind (5.8) (TR clean)
  • Broken Chicken Wing (5.9 trad) (TR clean)
  • On The Prowl (5.10a) (TR clean)
  • Greenhorn (5.11a) (TR)
  • Mr. Bungle (5.8) (Onsight)
  • To Defy The Laws Of Tradition (5.10a) (TR)
  • Crazyfingers (5.10c) (TR)
  • AWOL (5.10a) (TR)
  • Five Finger Discount (5.8 Trad) (Onsight)
  • Motha (5.6 Trad) (Onsight on all tri-cams!)
  • Yellow Brick Road (5.11b) (TR)
  • The Shining (5.8+ Trad) (TR clean)
  • Little Viper (5.10a) (TR clean)
  • Critters On The Cliff (5.11a, but not really...) (TR clean)
  • Rat Stew (5.10a) (TR clean)
  • Workin' for the Weekend (5.10c, but not really....) (TR clean)
  • Send Me On My Way (5.9-, but maybe more 8ish) (Onsight)
  • Rising (5.11a) (TR)

5 comments:

  1. Are the numbers difficulties, funsticks out of 7, or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is awesome the number of routes and exploring you have done in your first week Geoff! I can't wait to hear more about the adventure. Keep the blog thing up and let us keep living vicariously through you. Here is the blog that I told you about....
    http://quitjobhitroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The numbers are difficulties. The 5 before the dot is meaningless (well, it means it is a technical free climb, but, otherwise, it is meaningless). The number after the dot ranges from 1 to 15 or so (currently), and can have an a, b, c, or, d, or maybe a + or - after it, which are modifiers to the difficulty. Most people, without training, can get up a 5.5 on top-rope. I guess that's it in a nut-shell. Ratings are subjective and an vary wildly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geoff, glad to see you are having lots of fun. I can't believe you started your Journey with Kentucky. All those wise cracks from you for years about Kentucky...hmmm. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed Winchester, my childhood hometown. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures! It seems as if you've been busy and having fun!!! I bet it feels good.

    ReplyDelete