Friday, May 1, 2009

Kaymoor Mine Ruins

OK, this is a non-climbing post. :-) A few days ago, after getting a couple climbs in in the Butcher's Branch area, I decided to hike down to check out the ruins of the old Kaymoor coal mine. Here are some pictures.

Entrance to the mine area.

Safety board ("This mine was worked ___ days without a lost time accident", "Accidents choose no person, no time, no place", "A small scratch can kill a large man", "A good workman is a safe workman", etc.), with a mine entrance and an old mine structure (the lamp house and office, I think) in the background.

Another mine entrance.

The powder house, where they stored the dynamite. This structure impressed me. It was the only building on the site that was completely intact. You could tell it was built to last.

The heavy iron door of the powder house.

I took a bunch of other pictures, but these where the ones I thought were most interesting....

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool! Wish I could have been there to explore with you!

    ReplyDelete